BAMR is a family run business which supplies quality control instrumentation and equipment into the coating and corrosion and related industries in Africa. Our vision is to maintain our position as thought leader in the industry and leading supplier. We want to be the best in what we offer.
BAMR was established in 1946 by Fred Duk, my grandfather. Frank, my Dad took over in 1961 and I have been involved since 1998.
We have been the suppliers and distributors of Elcometer instruments and equipment since 1947. We are the sole official authorised Elcometer distributor and partner in South Africa and most of Africa. The first export sale for Elcometer in 1947 was through BAMR.
For over seventy years Elcometer has been a world leader in the design, manufacture and supply of inspection equipment to the coatings, concrete and metal detection industry.
BAMR represents some of the Market Leaders in the World in Southern Africa and strive to combine quality products at competitive prices, with personalised service.
Elcometer’s coating thickness gauge’s are considered the best value for money gauges in the industry. Applications for the Elcometer Protective Coating Inspection range includes any application where you are applying a coating to a substrate including painting a ship, a tank or a structure such as a stadium. Other than measuring the coating thickness, other gauges and applications in this industry include:
- Material thickness
- Surface cleanliness
- Surface profiles
- Climatic conditions including moisture
- Coating thickness – including Wet and Dry Film
- Pinhole and Porosity Testing
- Adhesion Testing
Other than the Protective Coatings Industry, Elcometer also supply instruments and equipment that are used for Laboratory and Physical Test equipment, predominantly in the Paint manufacturing industry. This includes:
- Viscosity Cups
- Fineness of Grind Gauges
- Film Applicators
- Elasticity & Deformation testers
- Density Cups
- Hardness & Scratch testers
Elcometer have recently launched a new range which is specifically for the abrasive Blast industry prior to applying a coating.
With our partners on both the supplier front and the distribution front having similar philosophies with regards innovation and customer service, we are very excited about the future of BAMR. We feel we are ideally situated to make the most of our position in the industry with regards our experience and dynamic approach to giving the customer the best experience possible.
BAMR is a family run business which supplies, repairs, services and calibrates instrumentation since 1946. Specialising in the Coatings, Corrosion, Physical Paint Testing and Allied Industries, we have been the suppliers and distributors of Elcometer instruments and equipment since 1947. We are the sole official authorised Elcometer distributor and partner in South Africa and most of Africa. The first export sale for Elcometer in 1947 was through BAMR.
BAMR is a third generation family business. Fred Duk started the company on the 22nd of May 1946. The company name is an abbreviation of what was initially British American Manufacturers Representatives, as the company expanded and increased their supplier base, the name was changed to British Allied Manufacturers Representatives. The company, however is known by the abbreviation BAMR.
In 1961 with the passing of Fred, his youngest son, Frank took over and worked at BAMR for 47 years until his retirement. Graham, who is eldest of three sons and who joined the company in 1998 is now running the company. Together with a small staff compliment, BAMR represents some of the Market Leaders in the World in Southern Africa and strive to combine quality products at competitive prices, with personalised service.
Similar to BAMR, Elcometer is also a third generation family business with the Sellars family owning the company since its inception in 1947.
Please enquire about the Elcometer Catalogue or download our BAMR Online Catalogue of our range of products.
Promise Vision Mission Culture Values
Quality control instrumentation
Our vision is to maintain our position as thought leader in the industry and leading supplier of quality coatings and corrosion measurement instrumentation & equipment in Africa. We want to be the best in what we offer.
In partnership with the market leaders it is our mission at BAMR to provide leading edge technology and high-quality coating and corrosion measuring instrumentation to businesses in Africa. We see ourselves as a leading supplier of quality control instrumentation & equipment in the coating and corrosion industries. We stay abreast of the latest technology and research as part of educating the market.
We demonstrate our thought leader and knowledge hub status by being involved in the industry through participation in associations and institutes including the Corrosion Institute of SA, the South African Paint Manufacturers Association (SAPMA), the Concrete Society and other similar organisations.
The companies that we partner and align ourselves with are at the forefront of research and innovation.
Our mission is to provide the following for our clients:
- Sourcing and supplying of quality products
- Leading edge technology
- Partnering with the best suppliers in the world
- Ongoing research and engagement with instrument suppliers
- Industry leading response times and delivery turnaround – we want to be the best and to set the standard
- Thought leader & authority in the industry
- Local and international technical backup
- Local calibration and repairs
- Personalised service by our skilled and highly motivated team
- Training – keeping our clients up-to-date with the latest techniques and skills in using the equipment
We see Cape Town and South Africa as perfectly placed to be the gateway into the rest of Africa.
Culture / Values
- We are a small close knit third generation family business that sees the value in building long and lasting relationships with our suppliers, our distributors and our customers.
- We have been around since 1946 and share common values and culture with our suppliers and our distributors
- We are proud of working at BAMR and the value we are adding to the industry
- We take responsibility for offering our customer a best-in-class customer experience
- We treat our customers, suppliers, distributors, colleagues and stakeholders fairly and with respect
- We aim to set the standards in customer service in our industry
- We want to be the best
- We are encouraged to identify and offer our customers the best solution
What is a Thought Leader (Definition)?
Thought leaders are the informed opinion leaders and the go-to people in their field of expertise. They are trusted sources who move and inspire people with innovative ideas; turn ideas into reality, know and show how to replicate their success.